CG Electric Motors Company History.
The origins of CG can be traced back to the pioneering work of Colonel REB Crompton, who, in 1878 founded a business at Chelmsford, Essex, England under the name of REB Crompton & Co., to engage in the manufacture and contracting of electrical equipment.
REB Crompton & Co. merged with F&A Parkinson Limited, thereby establishing Crompton Parkinson Limited (CPL) in England. In 1937, CPL established its wholly owned Indian subsidiary 'Crompton Parkinson Works Ltd.', in Mumbai, along with a sales organization, 'Greaves Cotton & Crompton Parkinson Ltd.'
In the year 1947, with the dawn of the independence of India, the Company was taken over by Lala Karamchand Thapar, an eminent Indian industrialist who formed the Thapar Group. In 1966, Crompton Parkinson Works Ltd and Greaves Cotton & Crompton Parkinson Ltd. merged to create Crompton Greaves Limited (CG) in its present form.
In the 1960s CG took its initial steps to revolutionize its portfolio, which till then comprised only motors and consumer products. It took a major leap in the electrical engineering segment, through the acquisition of transformer technology from Westinghouse Electric Corporation of USA, for manufacture of 400 kV transformers and aluminum wound transformers. This was followed by further expansion in the switchgear, vacuum interrupter and allied businesses. By 2005, the Company had emerged as one of the leading companies in the electrical engineering domain of India, in its three business areas of Power Systems, Industrial Systems and Consumer Products; and a serious contender in the global arena.
CG established its international manufacturing footprint in the year 2005 by acquisition of the Belgium based Pauwels Group, which gave CG additional manufacturing facilities for Power and Distribution transformers at Belgium, Ireland, USA, Canada and Indonesia. This was followed with a series of successful acquisitions - Ganz, Hungary in 2006; Microsol, Ireland in 2007; Sonomatra, France; MSE, USA in 2008 and PTS, UK in 2010 in its quest to establish a technology edge, increase its global market reach and enhance the product portfolio. The business domains of the new companies that joined the CG family, has charted the way for CG becoming a "full solutions provider" which has carved out for CG a position as a serious international player and a recognized transnational corporation.
Initially, CG`s foreign acquisitions operated their respective businesses under their individual Brand names. To integrate these new entrants into the CG family, the first step was integration of processes, systems and technologies across all the acquired companies worldwide. The next step was to articulate the one single idea that provided a common thread through all the CG Group companies. We discovered our shared philosophy as "our core strength is the value we place on relationships, and the ability to provide solutions, which, in turn, strengthen these relationships". This realisation and initiative gave birth to CG`s new Brand Identity which was launched on 15th October, 2009, succinctly conveying this shared philosophy.
Whilst the Company`s name in India will continue to be Crompton Greaves, the names of all the foreign companies in the CG family start with "CG", thus establishing their lineage and uniting every company in the CG family with a common face to the internal as well as the external world, globally.
Today, CG is a public listed company, amongst the "A" (premier) category of listings on the Bombay and National Stock Exchanges of India and its GDRs are listed on the London Stock Exchange, with over 140,000 shareholders.